Tuesday, November 15, 2005

So I'm at the Guggenheim (that's in New York)

Saturday night continues... well into Sunday afternoon.


So, after negligible sleep and a long night out, I took the train from Williamsburg where I woke up to the Guggenheim on UES. I had a 1PM meeting scheduled outside the RUSSIA! exhibit and I meant to keep it.

There were some amazing works in the exhibit but it felt more than a little disjointed. It's hard to argue with seeing - in person - Malevich's "Black Square", or some actual icons painted by Andrei Rublev. Still, we (Jason, Nicole, and I) came away feeling more "Russia?" than "RUSSIA!"

I'm not even sure what to say about this... I enjoyed lots of the individual pieces but was nonplussed by the exhibition as a whole (considering how much it had been built up). It's also hard to spend 4 hours focusing on art if it's such a grab bag of styles and time periods... much more exhausting, say, then seeing Matthew Barney take over the building.

After the exhibit I bought tylenol and then we ate Italian food. Then I went home.

More art thoughts to follow? Actually, probably not.

No comments: