Friday, September 30, 2005

Apartment at the Mercury Lounge

This was just post-CMJ. my memory of it is hazy now, but here's what I've got.

Jean came to meet me but couldn't get in the door... I went in for Apartment and then met up with her again afterwards. I went in hoping for goodness but slightly fearful that they'd come off as Interpol-lite.

Verdict:
This band is amazing. They do mine some of the same influences as Interpol etc, but they're original as well as incredibly talented. They're spectacular performers, and use a hint of noise in the opens and closes of songs to add a bit of danger to their songcraft...

that, and david is my new idol. he's like the best of all possible frontmen. I could rave but it'll just sound like I'm going too far... which I probably am (but just by a bit).

GO SEE THIS BAND. I don't know if they're ever going to be huge but they sure are going to keep being awesome. [Probably both]. I was really impressed with everything they threw at me. I really can't even break down what works because everything comes together so seamlessly. It's the kind of praise I'll rarely heap on a band or a movie, but they are so very deserving. This goes not just for one song but for the whole set. The highlights were the moments when they were on stage.

I can't wait 'til Sarah gets me my copy of Patience is Proving.

No comments: