Thursday, July 14, 2005

I need a Hero

so it's 1:30 and I just got back from seeing the Five O'Clock Heroes and The Spinto Band and Nightmare of You.

The Five O'Clock Heroes are awesome. Like Strokes/Jam awesome. The guitarist (Elliott Thompson) is like some sort of mirror image of me in a universe where I grew up idolizing Paul Weller instead of Kubrick and Godard and Ian Curtis and Iggy Pop. His sense of style and stage presence totally blew me out of the water.

The Spinto Band is awesome. i was expecting a much poppier show based on their recordings, but they had a hefty dose of multilevel guitar noise shining over the top of their pop songs. I detected a bit of Television influence, but I think that might just be because when you know something so well you start to see it everywhere.

Nightmare of You is pretty good. I imaging I would've loved them in like '98, when I was really into that particular mode of songwriting. Their guitar parts a bit too poppy for me now, too full of major chords. There just wasn't enough darkness for me.

Oh, and I'm even more in love with sarah lewitinn than I was before. is that possible?

No comments: